Candace SmithOf Counsel
Candace Smith is Of Counsel in the Atlanta office of Herman Jones LLP. Her practice focuses on class action litigation, intellectual property litigation and commercial litigation.
Candace has extensive experience in complex litigation matters, including those involving creditors’ rights, product liability, fraud claims, business disputes and bankruptcy. She has handled a wide variety of matters in state and federal courts throughout the country as trial and appellate counsel and resolved matters through mediation and arbitration.
Candace is a former Alston + Bird LLP partner, having spent nearly 20 years at the firm specializing in a wide range of complex litigation matters with high stakes outcomes. In 2006, she was a member of the trial team for MAN AG et al. V. Freightliner LLC et al., which secured a near one-billion-dollar jury award, the largest jury verdict in the country that year, and which included the largest punitive damages verdict in Oregon history. After she left Alston + Bird, Candace provided consulting services to Spelman College Museum of Fine Art and clients in need of litigation strategy and dispute resolution assistance.
Candace graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from Brown University. She earned her Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law school.
- National Bar Association, Life Member
- Georgia Association of Women Attorneys, Program Committee 2004-2005
- Women in the Profession Section Georgia Bar, Charter Member 2005-2008
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (Georgia Network) 2001-2011
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member 2006-2010
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Problem Assets – Identification and Resolution (Risk Management Association, Atlanta Chapter, Conference – 2006)
- Managing Complex Litigation: Staying Ahead of the Curve (Risk Management Association, Atlanta Chapter, Conference – 2007)
- The CSI Effect: Employing Non-Scientific Means to Utilize – and Neutralize – Science in Court (ABA Litigation Section, Trial Practice Division – 2007)
- The CSI Effect (ABA Litigation Section Annual Conference – 2007)
- CSI: Lexington – Managing Juror Expectations for Scientific Proof (Kentucky Bar Association Annual Convention – 2008)
- Leadership Atlanta, Class of 2003, Membership Committee (2003-2004), L.E.A.D. Program Committee (2005-2006), Speaker Series Committee (2016)
- Leadership Georgia, Class of 2005
- Atlanta Women’s Foundation, Destiny Fund Participant (2006)
- Harvard Law School Association, Dean’s Advisory Council (2008)
- Democratic Party of Georgia Voter Protection Team, Poll Watcher (2018), Boiler Room Captain and Regional Manager 2020, Hotline Co-Leader (2020-present)
- Piedmont Park Conservancy of the City of Atlanta, Mayoral Appointee to the Board (2002-2018), Strategic Planning Committee Co-Chair, CEO Search Committee Co-Chair, Governmental Affairs Committee Chair, Passion for Piedmont Park Co-Chair, Party for Piedmont Park Co-Chair, Landmark Lunch Steering Committee Co-Chair
- Spelman College Museum of Fine Art, Art Advisory Board Chair (2015-2020)
- Georgia’s Win List, Board Member (2007-2014), Treasurer (2012-2013)
- Georgia Campaign for Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention (GCAPP), Board Member (2004-2009)
- National Urban League, Board of Trustees (1997-2004), National Urban League Young Professionals Co-Founder (1999), Urban League of Greater Atlanta Young Professionals Co-Founder (2001)
- HARMONY: Atlanta’s International Youth Chorus, Board of Directors and Advisory Board (1997-2005)
- Court Appointed Special Advocates Annual Luncheon, Co-Chair (2016, 2017)
- Cool Girls Hot Pink Party, Steering Committee (2015, 2016)
- Gettysburg College Women and Leadership Program, Speaker, Voter Challenges – Today and Yesteryear (2021)
- The Kulima Collective, Speaker, Opportunities for Small Businesses Under the Biden-Harris Administration (2021)